Commons Library Research Briefing
On Monday 8 November 2021, there will be an emergency debate in the House of Commons on “the consequences of the decision of the House on 3 November relating to standards.”
The Commons Library has produced a Research Briefing summarisin the events that led up to the decision to hold an emergency debate on the House of Commons standards system on Monday 8 November 2021. It includes an overview of the Commons standards system and a timeline showing how the system has evolved.
You can find the briefing here: https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-9359/
The number of couples choosing to live together (cohabit) without getting married or entering a civil partnership, in what is often called “a common law marriage”, increased by 137% between 1996 and 2020.
Although cohabitating couples do have legal protection in several areas, such as under the law relating to domestic abuse, cohabitation gives no general legal status to a couple, unlike marriage and civil partnership from which many legal rights and responsibilities flow. Many people are unaware this is the case.
This briefing provides information about the number of cohabiting couples, how the law applies to them, the Law Commission’s proposals for reform, and other calls for reform.
You can find the briefing here: “Common law marriage” and cohabitation
The House of Commons Library has published a briefing paper which provides answers to frequently asked questions about international travel restrictions during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Coronavirus: International Travel FAQs for England
This paper is a compilation of frequently asked questions about international travel from and to England, and how it is affected by current restrictions due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The paper addresses the following questions:
- What is the international travel ban?
- What are the reasonable excuses for travel?
- Who is exempt from the international travel ban and travel requirements?
- What are the penalties for international travel offences?
- I’m travelling to the UK, what do I need to do?
- What COVID-19 testing is required after arrival in England?
- What is the “test to release” scheme?
- What is hotel quarantine for travel from “red list” countries?
- Are there any exemptions from Hotel quarantine?
- What if I cannot afford to pay for Hotel Quarantine?
- When can I go on holiday?
- I can’t fly because of lockdown, but my flight wasn’t cancelled, what are my options?