Travel information for MPs and their staff



Parliamentary Travel Office

The Parliamentary Travel Office provides a comprehensive travel service including:

  • domestic and international air and rail ticketing
  • hotel booking (both in the UK and abroad)
  • passport, visa and currency services
  • support with organising travel and accommodation for events.

The Travel Office offers specially negotiated discounts on many fares, in particular on air travel, and on the costs of hotels. CTM will price match a `like for like` itinerary on the same day if a lower fare is found within usual business hours.


Please note that the Parliamentary Travel Office does not offer a taxi booking service. Information on how to arrange a taxi to collect you from the Parliamentary Estate can be found here

Booking rail tickets online with Trainline Business

IPSA has set up accounts for MPs to allow them to book rail tickets online via Trainline Business.  These are billed directly to IPSA and tickets can be collected from the machines at any railway station or from the kiosk if there is no ticket machine.  If you do not know the details for your Trainline account, please contact IPSA to request them.  Please also familiarise yourself with the rules on booking rail tickets here:

If you or your MP are travelling overseas on Parliamentary business, you can find information about services available to you on the intranet:

Overseas Travel Advice, Guidance and Vaccination Arrangements – St Thomas’ Hospital

Members and staff of both Houses together with their accompanying staff/partner travelling overseas on office business may obtain travel advice, vaccinations and medication from the Occupational Health Service at St Thomas’ Hospital.

For further information and to book an appointment, click here.

For information on travel insurance, please see the intranet page here: Travel insurance

Important – Post-Brexit British Passport Validity

To be eligible to travel to most European countries, on the day of travel, British passport holders must:

  • Have at least 6 months left on their passport, and
  • Have a passport that is less than 10 years old, even if it has 6 months or more left

These rules also apply to Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. They do not apply to travel to Ireland.

Please check your passport expiry date before booking any travel and renew it as soon as possible if it does not meet the new criteria. Failure to do so may mean your passport is invalid and you may not be able to travel.

You can check here for the country you’re visiting.

Click here to renew your British passport.

Foreign travel advice

Get country-by-country advice about travelling abroad, including the latest information on coronavirus, safety and security, entry requirements and travel warnings.


Insurance for MPs


The House of Commons funds and administers a range of insurance policies designed to protect MPs when carrying out their Parliamentary and constituency duties.

These policies include:

  • Employers and Public Liability
  • Personal Accident
  • Travel Insurance
  • Professional Indemnity (including defamation)
  • Employment Practices Liability

The House of Commons does not provide contents insurance for constituency offices.

The employers and public liability insurance is for constituency offices only, and covers people on work experience as well as employees.  The House of Commons, like the Civil Service, acts as its own insurer therefore no certificate or policy is available.

For further information, and to download copies of the insurance policies and certificates, please visit this page:

You are advised to print out and display this poster in your offices: