The MP and Staffers’ Guide to Mental Health has been updated and is full of useful information on how to support and signpost constituents with mental health needs. We highly recommend that you read this guide.
Here’s what’s in it:
- Quick-reference guide
- An overview of mental health
- How much help should you give?
- How to help someone in distress
- Handling difficult emails and phone calls
- Signposting and local information
You can view it on the Rethink Mental Illness website here.
As an aside from those of us at W4MP who have been around for a bit: if you are new to the job you might just be thinking that you are the only one who has ever had to help constituents with mental health problems. Everyone who has ever worked for an MP, and particularly those based in constituency offices and dealing with casework, tends to be surprised how much of an issue this can be, particularly in your first few weeks. Hopefully this booklet will help you put things in perspective. Good luck!
The leaflet is a joint production by:
- All Party Parliamentary Group on Mental Health
- Rethink Mental Illness
- Royal College of Psychiatrists