The House of Commons Members’ HR Service has produced a Best Practice Guide to Recruitment and Selection.
It provides practical advice on efficient and effective recruitment practices. The guide aims to support Members (and their Office Managers) with the tools to attract and recruit people with diverse backgrounds, skills and abilities.
Recruiting staff can be a rewarding experience, unfortunately, there are some common pitfalls if the process is rushed or not well thought through. There is also a legal requirement placed on all employers to ensure that recruitment practices meet the requirements of the Equality Act (2010). It is therefore important to ensure that your recruitment practices are not only deemed to be fair, consistent and transparent but that this is also the experience of the individuals going through your recruitment process.
The guide looks at the different stages of a recruitment process, which would normally include:
- Identifying the role you need and how it will support the function of your office.
- How to write a job description in line with the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA) requirements.
- Guidance on writing a person specification.
- Putting an advert together and exploring various options to advertise your vacancy.
- Best practice on selection methods.
- Making the job offer, and the following checks that need to be carried out e.g. security vetting, employment references etc.
Although this is a guide to recruitment and selection, it is well worth reading it even if you’re not currently in the process of seeking a new employee. It contains a wealth of valuable information which could also be used to help you to carry out appraisals and self-assessments.
You can find the guide here: https://intranet.parliament.uk/Documents/Best%20Practice%20Guide%20-%20Recruitment%20and%20Selection.pdf
You can find an index of best practice guides here: https://intranet.parliament.uk/employment/house-of-commons-members/members-hr-advice-service/employing-new-staff/advice-on-employing-new-staff/